Skip to content
· pre-market · SPX · gold · bitcoin · small-cap · yields

SPX Grinds Higher But Gold, Silver, BTC Flash a Warning

Equities are green pre-market but the commodity and crypto flush overnight is telling a different story. Here's what I'm watching at the open.

Free · the premarket brief in your inbox every weekday

Not financial advice. Do your own research.

Mario's take

SPX futures are up but I'm not buying the optimism wholesale — gold down 2.09%, silver down 3.39%, BTC down 2.53%, and the 10Y yield at 5.337% while the DXY is pumping +0.62% tells me this is a dollar-strength squeeze, not risk-on conviction. Utilities leading at +2.98% and Consumer Discretionary at +1.18% is a weird mix — I'm watching that divergence closely.

On my radar
  • TRIB $7.15 — RVOL 5.9x, float 13.5M, catalyst in play. I want to see it consolidate pre-market and hold $6.80. A clean open above $7.25 with volume continuation is my long trigger. Tight stop under $6.75.
  • OFS $4.16 — RVOL 10.1x, float 13.4M, no clear catalyst but the tape doesn't lie at 10x relative volume. Watching for a flag above $4.00. I'll pass if it gaps up another 5% at the open — chasing kills accounts.
  • NEO $16.50 — down 13.72% on a catalyst. RVOL only 2.0x which makes me skeptical of a clean short continuation, but if it bounces into $17.20–$17.50 on low volume, I'm interested on the short side.
Levels I care about
  • SPX $7,818 is today's line — I need to see it hold above $7,780 in the first hour or this open is a fade.
  • Gold $4,099 getting slapped by DXY strength. My bullion thesis stays intact above $4,000 but a close under that level changes my sizing.
  • 10Y Yield 5.337% — this is the real story. Above 5.40% and equities will struggle to hold green regardless of the pre-market print.
  • BTC $83,384 — Crypto Fear & Greed at 71 (Greed) while price drops 2.5% overnight is a red flag. $80,000 is the level I don't want to see tested.
How I'm positioned

I trimmed my gold position yesterday and I'm glad I did. Still holding core bullion but reduced to 60% of my normal sizing until we see where it lands relative to $4,000. BTC I'm holding my long-term stack — not touching it, but not adding here with Greed at 71 and price dropping. Day trade sizing today is normal for TRIB and OFS if setups develop, but I'm keeping stops tight given the yield environment. No new index positions until the 10Y shows me it's done climbing. First hour is a watch-and-react situation — I'm not forcing anything before 10:00 AM.

Reader takes

0 replies
Sign in to add a comment.

Be respectful. Slurs and harassment will be removed. Not financial advice.

Get the next brief in your inbox

One email each weekday. Same voice, same format, no spam.

Not financial advice. Do your own research.