Skip to content
· post-market · SPX · gold · small-cap · TRIB · OFS

SPX Grinds Higher, Utilities Surge, and the Scanner Went Silent

SPX closed at $7,819.99 on a broad but uninspiring grind. Zero scanner qualifications today — but TRIB and OFS ran hard without me.

Free · the premarket brief in your inbox every weekday

Not financial advice. Do your own research.

Live tape — what this brief is about

today
Mario's take

Decent day on paper, frustrating day in practice. SPX added 0.59% to close at $7,819.99, Utilities led with a +2.88% rip, and Consumer Discretionary wasn't far behind at +1.19%. That's a defensive-plus-consumer rotation that tells me money is repositioning, not fleeing. The tape was healthy — I just didn't extract much from it.

On my radar
  • TRIB $7.15 — +23.92%, RVOL 5.8x, float 13.5M. Didn't qualify the scanner cutoff but ran anyway. If this consolidates tomorrow above $6.80 with volume drying up, I'll watch for a continuation flag into the open.
  • OFS $4.17 — +16.99%, RVOL 9.5x, float 13.4M. Cleaner float than TRIB and higher relative volume. $3.90 is the level I need to hold overnight for a morning pop thesis to stay alive.
  • NEO $16.50 — down 13.72% on catalyst, RVOL only 2.0x. Not enough juice for a short bounce trade. Monitoring for a dead-cat fade tomorrow if it gaps up weak.
Levels I care about
  • SPX $7,780 is now support — that's the level I'm watching on any morning pullback. Below it and I expect a test of $7,740.
  • Gold $4,197 is flirting with resistance after a +0.97% session. A clean break above $4,210 accelerates my bullion thesis meaningfully.
  • 10Y Yield at 5.269% with a DXY down 0.30% is the macro tension I'm holding onto — yields this high while the dollar softens is an unusual divergence that doesn't resolve quietly.
How I'm positioned

Scanner went 0-for-423 on qualifications today, which tells me the small-cap momentum universe was thin. TRIB and OFS ran without me — I grade that as a miss on discretionary override, not a system failure. I'm holding gold through any pullback to $4,150 and not touching the stop. BTC at $85,589 with Crypto Fear & Greed at 73 (Greed) is making me cautious on adding — I won't chase. My index exposure stays long. Tomorrow I'm focused on TRIB and OFS at the open — if either gives me a clean consolidation setup with RVOL above 3x in the first 15 minutes, I'm in with half size.

Reader takes

0 replies
Sign in to add a comment.

Be respectful. Slurs and harassment will be removed. Not financial advice.

Get the next brief in your inbox

One email each weekday. Same voice, same format, no spam.

Not financial advice. Do your own research.